Friday, September 21, 2007

Re-telling an old story.

Old story remembered…
I originally wrote this about three years ago. Its amazing how much I have changed in that short while. Hhmmm.

--------------------------

"...its because they wouldn't know good tv if it jumped up their arse and bit inside their intestines."

This is only part of one of the wonderful conversations I had with a sales woman in the then Suncoast video store in the Wilmington Mall. I had to go buy the movie "Psycho (the Alfred Hitchcock version)" and the girl went bizzerk that I was buying it. She thought I was some kind of movie aficionado (which I would like to think that I am somewhat of one). And I thought I was in tune to movies, and thought I knew a lot about them, until talking to her. Well this girl, pardon me for saying, wasn't the best looking girl in the world, but made it worse with the way she talked. She had a certain "perfect ness" when she talked. She overly perfected everything she said to be very precise and meaningful.

Well she tried to get me to buy some more 'popular movies. First of all she was telling me about some kind of Chinese anime popularized in the late 90s. Now I used to be an fan of anime, but good lord. I am not buying 30 dollars worth of DVDs by this "greatest director of our time" of whom I have never heard of. I appreciate people loving something, but I thought it went a bit too far. She kind of flipped out when I told her that I liked Space Ghost, and I asked why they didn't carry more Space Ghost stuff and she said that above quote. Well I have to agree that a lot of people don't know good TV or movies.

I do myself fall into that category sometimes, because I do watch American Idol and Last Comic Standing. I just hate when people follow trends and stick to whatever is gimmicky, or its what someone else watches. I hate soap operas....the drama is too exaggerated. But honestly I watch wrestling which is essentially a soap opera…so? I love cooking shows, cartoons, Family Guy and Everybody loves Raymond. So what makes me different......I guess nothing. Sometimes I guess I try to differentiate myself from the mundane-ness of the world. But that doesn't work.

No comments: