Monday, September 10, 2007

Falling for Arrogance...

I am sitting here in my terribly uncomfortable office chair. I wish I had've sit in one like it before I bought it, put it together, and hated it. I broke a bone in my foot and pulled a muscle (aka sprained my ankle) last Saturday. I have been in a boot/brace ever since. I am not used to having people do things for me, because I am a very independent person. So you can imagine the horrible situation that I am in. As I have stated earlier, I am a school teacher. You can just imagine the laughter that has been generated by watching me hobble around on my crutches or by the immense hillariousness that has emanated from seeing me scoot around in my extremely uncomfortable office chair.

But the ice pack that I have stuck to my ankle is extremely cold, and my foot that is extremely swolen have not hurt me as bad as the fact that I cannot do things when I want to do them. The reason my foot is hurt, is because I am moving. Now I know that that is not a good answer, nor does it explain what happened, but bare with me. Last Saturday morning I got up semi-early (since most Saturday mornings I like to sleep til atleast 10:30) and got started packing up the back of my F-150. I had already man-handled my 32 inch TV by myself (since I always am trying to prove to myself and others that even though I may be fat, but I don't bust my ass in the gym just to pay a membership). I had my surround sound taken down off the walls, and into its boxes ever so delicately. Each speaker was placed precisely in order of size. I had taken down my paintings off the wall. My dvds and cds had been placed in boxes. So you're asking how can this morning go wrong? Well this beautifully secluded house that I had been renting was off the road 'a good ways' and was amongst old trees. I am guessing that whoever placed the house there decided that they really loved this one tree. They put the house about three feet away from this extremely large tree. The roots had taken over the area where I had to park my truck and getting my Mustang through there was like going over 20 tall speed bumps.

Well as I said the roots had taken over the area where I park my truck and this was right beside of the front steps. I had a large front patio with steps on the side. Well here I go barreling down the steps carrying boxes under each arm (again trying to prove something to myself and/0r someone else) when I put my foot down directly on the top of a root. Well in my speed all of my weight came down on this foot of this tree in this yard of this house where I had been staying (now that sure is alot of prepositionary phrases, haha). My foot went off the side of the root and I went to the other side of the root. As my foot turned in a way that feet are not supposed to do, I heard a cracking sound that made me almost sick to my stomach. I dropped the boxes and my hands went out to grab onto something. One hand braced the side of the house, the other clinched to the tree.

So there I was. I was out in the yard of my secluded home, and the contents of two boxes and their emissary are strung chaotically around the base of this large, old tree. An extremely expensive surround sound system is laying on the dirt. A dvd player that I paid way too much for has fallen on top of another root. I am writhing in pain, with no one there to care for me. You see I had wanted to go ahead and do it myself, so no one would get in my way while I was trying to work. I knew that I could do it quicker than any of the other people could help me carry things. My arrogance had once again served to do nothing but bring me down. I had tried to get everything done by myself and this is where it has gotten me.

Well I see the error of my ways now, as I sit here waiting for the school's secretary to come back and get the ice pack that she brought me about 15 minutes ago. So by utilizing a long time trait, my arrogance has brought me a lot pain and embarassment. So I am hoping now that I am going to learn something out of this awfully terrible experience. But I have already learned one lesson and it is that I cannot step down on roots of trees wearing old-slick bottomed Rainbow sandals.

No comments: