Monday, August 27, 2007

Planning period rant

I usually don't have butterflies in my stomach. I'm usually pretty calm when it comes to the first day of a new semester. Today was different though. I'm not exactly sure what it was that makes this day so different from all the other ones. I've been a teacher for three years now, and it is supposed to get easier, right?
I teach at an alternative school, which is basically a safe haven for students (and their former teachers) who usually cause a lot of trouble at their regular schools to come and learn. They come here and we 'fix' their problems to an extent that they can function properly at a regular school. Most of them have been getting in trouble for gang affiliation, fights, skipping too many days of school, and having long hair. Okay, well I made the long hair part up, but they come here for serious reasons. When you get these students get into a class you do quickly start to realize that they have negative stigmas put on them by society which sometimes are valid, but most of the time these kids are just that, kids.
Some students come from broken homes. They come from homes where "I love you" is a statement that has been long forgotten. Drug abuse and physical abuses are a norm. Some students just have behavioral problems stemming from things like ADD or ADHD. But they have these accouterments following them throughout their lives.
I feel sorry for them sometimes. You want to just hug them and tell them that everything is gonna be alright. You want to tell them that the world loves them and accepts them for who they are. You want to tell them that their parents erroneous regnancy will not be held over their heads any longer. But I would be lying to them, now wouldn't I?
So I just continue doing my job and hopefully reach the ones that don't want to be taught, and help the ones that want to bring themselves out of the place that they are in.

No comments: